Law Migrant Caravan sues the US - Alleges violation of constitutional rights

  • 🏰 The Fediverse is up. If you know, you know.
  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
A dozen migrants traveling by foot from Honduras to the U.S. to seek asylum filed a class-action lawsuit Thursday against President Trump, the Department of Homeland Security and others, claiming a violation of their due process under the Fifth Amendment.

The Fifth Amendment states that, "no person… shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

A recent PBS report cited former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who ruled in 1993 case that "it is well established that the Fifth Amendment entitles aliens to due process of law in a deportation proceeding."

Twelve Honduran nationals, including six children, are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The suit, which was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., said it is widely known that Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are “undergoing a well-documented human rights crisis.” The lawsuit also claims that the plaintiffs’ right to the Administrative Procedures Act and the Declaratory Judgement Act were being infringed upon.

The Central American migrant caravan now numbers approximately 4,000 people, down from a high of 7,200.

The lawsuit points to Trump's claim that he will prevent the caravan from entering the U.S. It claims that the president cannot stop asylum-seekers by employing the military -- when they have a fair claim. The suit criticized the president's alleged attempt at stoking "fear and hysteria" by claiming that criminals and gang members have joined the caravan.

The suit cited a Trump interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, where the president laid out plans to build tent cities to house migrants. The suit questioned the functionality of such a project, and asked if these living quarters would qualify under the Flores Agreement of 1997. The agreement protects asylum-seekers’ rights and limits how long minors can be held.

Earlier this summer, a federal judge in California rejected a request by the administration to modify Flores to allow for longer family detention. Administration officials say they have the authority to terminate the agreement, but that is likely to be tested in court.

The White House, Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security -- which were all named as defendants -- did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Trump announced in a lengthy speech at the White House on Thursday afternoon that in response to what he called the "crisis at our southern border" and a surge of fraudulent asylum claims in recent years, his administration will soon require asylum-seekers to "lawfully present themselves" at a port of entry.

Asylum claims made by migrants caught crossing the border illegally would seemingly be summarily denied under Trump's proposal.

The asylum clause of the Immigration and Nationality Act says that anyone who arrives to the U.S. may apply for asylum based on a well-founded fear of persecution, and Trump's decision was expected to prompt immediate federal court challenges.

Nexus Services Inc. is funding the lawsuits through a civil rights law firm called Nexus Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) Attorneys Inc.

"Federal law enables migrants to apply for asylum in the United States. President Trump and his administration have used ‘increased enforcement,’ like separating families and lengthening detention to violate migrant rights," Mike Donovan, president of Nexus Services, said in the release.

There is another legal issue at stake, according to the lawsuit. The U.S. cannot send troops into Mexico to cut off the caravan from crossing the border, it said. Even with the National Guard at the border, once an immigrant indicates an intention to apply for asylum, the suit maintained the process has begun.

Immigrants who are seeking asylum must be referred for a “credible fear interview,” for which an asylum officer would determine if the immigrant has a “credible fear of persecution,” the lawsuit said. If the officer makes that determination, then there is a significant chance for the asylum-seeker to be granted asylum, according to the suit.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mi...ment-claim-violation-of-constitutional-rights

Although this is an obvious PR tactic / delay stunt, I'm not sure how this will pass scrutiny at all- I don't see how (((migrants))) who are not in the country but who are actively attempting to enter without permission possibly have standing to sue on fifth amendment grounds. While I would disagree with the principle (but not the process) if they were already here, I don't see the logic in filing this until then.

The article itself is not bad. Some interesting points-

1) the caravan is down from 7200 to 4000. The cynic in me says they found a way here already, but who knows.

2) one of the points of their argument is that Trump's "tent cities" are inhumane. It references the Flores agreement of 1997, which lays out migrant rights and lengths of detention.

3) they argue the military cannot enter Mexico to stop the caravan and once in the US the migrants will be immediately applying for asylum.

While compared to total numbers coming across the border the "caravan" might be a drop in the bucket, there sure is a lot of money behind making a big show out of this thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I already disliked these migrants when they refused asylum in Mexico when it was offered to them even though living in Mexico is better than living in a war torn country. You'd think if they were actually in danger they'd be fine with that offer. But with this dumb stunt I'm convinced someone else is backing them for monetary/political reasons. Also the fact that it's so close to midterm elections.

Yea, I wonder what (((group))) it could possibly be?
 
In an absurd way, I'm reminded of the old Huehuehue meme.

"GIBE MONI PLOS"
"No, but you can become a refugee in Mexico if you want"
"I REPORT YU... TO YURSELF JAJAJAJAJA HN HN HN"
 
Don't they know that it's a hell of a lot easier to travel through the Sonoran? There's hardly anyone to stop them there; quite scenic, too.
20181104_125946.jpg

 
The moment they rejected Mexico's offer of Asylum, they became a wandering band of criminal miscreants. Mexican police should arrest them.
 
I already disliked these migrants when they refused asylum in Mexico when it was offered to them even though living in Mexico is better than living in a war torn country. You'd think if they were actually in danger they'd be fine with that offer. But with this dumb stunt I'm convinced someone else is backing them for monetary/political reasons. Also the fact that it's so close to midterm elections.
The moment they rejected Mexico's offer of Asylum, they became a wandering band of criminal miscreants. Mexican police should arrest them.

Mexico is the last place anybody in Latin America would want to be if you're a migrant, keep in mind they're more susceptible of being forced to work with the cartels than legitimately trying to work a low wage jobs (which they pay very poorly) in Mexico.
 
Migrant caravan splinters
The Canadian Press - Nov 4, 2018 / 7:02 am | Story: 241045
ABD120-114_2018_015338_p3349835.jpg

Photo: The Canadian Press
Migrants dress with donated clothes in Orizaba, Mexico, Saturday night.
A 4,000-strong caravan of Central American migrants travelling through Mexico split up into several groups with one spending the night in a town in the coastal state of Veracruz and other migrants continuing toward the country's capital.

The divisions came during a tense day in which tempers flared and some migrants argued with caravan organizers and criticized Mexican officials. They were upset that Veracruz Gov. Miguel Angel Yunes had reneged on an offer late Friday to provide buses on Saturday to leapfrog the migrants to Mexico City.

The migrants trekked to the town of Isla, about 1,100 kilometres south of the U.S. border, where several thousand stopped to rest, eat and receive medical attention. They planned to spend the night there before departing at 5 a.m. Sunday en route to the town of Cordoba.

But other migrants, mainly men and the younger members of the group, kept on walking or hitching rides toward Puebla and Mexico City. They hunkered down for the night in Juan Rodriguez Clara or Tierra Blanca farther along the route.

"We think that it is better to continue together with the caravan. We are going to stay with it and respect the organizers," Luis Euseda, a 32-year-old from Tegucigalpa, Honduras who is travelling with his wife Jessica Fugon, said in Isla. "Others went ahead, maybe they have no goal, but we do have a goal and it is to arrive."

Caravan organizers have pleaded for buses in recent days after three weeks on the road, hitching rides and walking. With the group scattered, some have raised questions about whether the caravan would stick together.

In a statement, the migrants lambasted Mexican officials for directing them northward through the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz, calling it the "route of death." A trek via the sugar fields and fruit groves of Veracruz takes them through a state where hundreds of migrants have disappeared in recent years, falling prey to kidnappers looking for ransom payments.

Gerardo Perez, a 20-year-old migrant, said he was tired. "They're playing with our dignity. If you could have only seen the people's happiness last night when they told us that we were going by bus and today we're not," he said.

Mexico faces the unprecedented situation of having three caravans stretched over 300 miles (500 kilometres) of highway in the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca and Veracruz, with a total of more than 6,000 migrants.

On Friday, a caravan from El Salvador waded over the Suchiate River into Mexico, bringing 1,000 to 1,500 people who want to reach the U.S. border.

Another caravan, also of about 1,000 to 1,500 people, entered Mexico earlier this week and is now in Chiapas. That group includes Hondurans, Salvadorans and some Guatemalans.

Mexican officials appear conflicted over whether to help or hinder their journeys.

Immigration agents and police have at times detained migrants in the smaller caravans. But several mayors have rolled out the welcome mat for migrants who reached their towns - arranging for food and camp sites.

President Donald Trump has ordered U.S. troops to the Mexican border in response to the caravans. More than 7,000 active duty troops have been told to deploy to Texas, Arizona and California ahead of the midterm elections.
Sounds like the infighting is increasing.
 
Mexico is the last place anybody in Latin America would want to be if you're a migrant, keep in mind they're more susceptible of being forced to work with the cartels than legitimately trying to work a low wage jobs (which they pay very poorly) in Mexico.
As unfortunate as your predictions might be, that has nothing to do with an Asylum claim or their legal right to enter into or travel through Mexico.
 
I'm sorry, what? How in the name of bloody hell do you have Constitutional rights when you're not in the territory that is subject to that constitution. That's like me saying that my human rights as guaranteed by the French Declaration des droits de l'homme were breached because of something that happened here.

Whoever is their lawyer is fucking exceptional if they genuinely think this.
 
I'm sorry, what? How in the name of bloody hell do you have Constitutional rights when you're not in the territory that is subject to that constitution. That's like me saying that my human rights as guaranteed by the French Declaration des droits de l'homme were breached because of something that happened here.

Whoever is their lawyer is fucking exceptional if they genuinely think this.

It's one of those lawsuits where any citizen with more than a token civics education knows it's bullshit, but that's not the point, the point is to generate a shiny object for the media to endlessly obsess over and convince the few remaining people who take 24/7 news channels seriously that it's some great human injustice and create public outcry against enforcing existing immigration law.
 
They may have started as "asylum seekers" but after being offered asylum by mexico and refusing it's a bit hard to stick with that label, isn't it?

Wow they forgot to disable comments, every single one I read basically called bullshit on the article. I skimmed the article as briefly as possible but I still got hit with a pile of condescension and redefinition of words that don't mean what this dude wants them to mean.
 
This is complete horseshit. A non-citizen who does not now and never did reside or even set foot on US soil cannot sue for having their rights to liberty and prosperity "denied" without due process in a system they aren't even participants in. If that were at all reasonable, then literally the entire population of the world could sue the United States for failing to guarantee civil rights and due process for the 7 billion residents of other sovereign nations everywhere on the planet.

What a ridiculous display.
 
What are these caravan people being told? If I was told the country I'm migrating towards is sending troops to the border and their President is saying that throwing a rock is considered a rifle and doesn't want us coming.... well.... that's about as bad as where I'm coming from.... what the fuck man?
 
Sorry but what conflict?

This mass exodus is a result of the extreme hardships people face throughout the region, including gender-based and gang violence, poverty, food insecurity, the effects of climate change, corruption and impunity, as well as the paucity of means to build a dignified life.

Oh so they’re just poor, want to leach off the wealthiest country in the world and have no claims for asylum...got it.

https://www.oxfamamerica.org/explor...s-about-the-mass-exodus-from-central-america/
 
Oh so they’re just poor, want to leach off the wealthiest country in the world and have no claims for asylum...got it.
This mass exodus is a result of the extreme hardships people face throughout the region, including gender-based and gang violence, poverty, food insecurity, the effects of climate change, corruption and impunity, as well as the paucity of means to build a dignified life.
I can go on social media and see hundreds of posts whining about literally every one of those points of complaint in my shithole tyrannical United States every single day. So I really don't think they have anything to gain by coming here.
 
Just now realized the caravan didn't make it to the border in time for the midterms. Not sure if them getting here by today was the intention of the people "funding" them or whatever, but if it was then that's a pretty big fuck up. In any case, hopefully this lessens whatever impact the caravan's arrival would have had -- plus emboldens our government to appropriately defend our border when they eventually show up late.
 
I can go on social media and see hundreds of posts whining about literally every one of those points of complaint in my shithole tyrannical United States every single day. So I really don't think they have anything to gain by coming here.
Let’s start a migrant caravan towards Canada composed of only white, rural poor Americans and see what happens.

I’m guessing we won’t have NGOs like Oxfam playing movies like Independence Day and providing free tents and clothes.
 
Someone's probably said it but no standing.

They don't have the right to a hearing before deportation because they're in no danger of deportation unless they do something like illegally entering the country, which they also have no right to do.

Having no right that has been violated, they lack standing to challenge the denial of a right they don't even have and won't unless they break the law first.

Their remedy is to present themselves at a border checkpoint and lawfully request whatever the fuck it is they think they're entitled to. Only upon that being denied and appealed through the administrative process would they have any judicially cognizable rights whatsoever.

In short, they can fuck right off back to where they came from.
 
Just now realized the caravan didn't make it to the border in time for the midterms. Not sure if them getting here by today was the intention of the people "funding" them or whatever, but if it was then that's a pretty big fuck up. In any case, hopefully this lessens whatever impact the caravan's arrival would have had -- plus emboldens our government to appropriately defend our border when they eventually show up late.

I'm betting their funding mysteriously disappears by dawn tomorrow and they are left destitute in a run down shithole in Mexico. The Dems and their backers already grossly overspent on the midterms. To what look sto be a remarkably poor ROI. I mean throwing $38 mil at Beto? Air Dropping Oprah into Georgia, not to mention how much they spent on their attempt at selling a fat unpleasant scowling black woman to Georgia voters?
 
Just now realized the caravan didn't make it to the border in time for the midterms. Not sure if them getting here by today was the intention of the people "funding" them or whatever, but if it was then that's a pretty big fuck up. In any case, hopefully this lessens whatever impact the caravan's arrival would have had -- plus emboldens our government to appropriately defend our border when they eventually show up late.
IMO some of them were definitely supposed to get here a few days ago, so a few provocateurs could cause a riot, and give the media grisly footage of women and children getting their shit kicked in.
 
Back
Top Bottom