Law Migrant Caravan sues the US - Alleges violation of constitutional rights

  • 🏰 The Fediverse is up. If you know, you know.
  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
A dozen migrants traveling by foot from Honduras to the U.S. to seek asylum filed a class-action lawsuit Thursday against President Trump, the Department of Homeland Security and others, claiming a violation of their due process under the Fifth Amendment.

The Fifth Amendment states that, "no person… shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

A recent PBS report cited former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who ruled in 1993 case that "it is well established that the Fifth Amendment entitles aliens to due process of law in a deportation proceeding."

Twelve Honduran nationals, including six children, are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The suit, which was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., said it is widely known that Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are “undergoing a well-documented human rights crisis.” The lawsuit also claims that the plaintiffs’ right to the Administrative Procedures Act and the Declaratory Judgement Act were being infringed upon.

The Central American migrant caravan now numbers approximately 4,000 people, down from a high of 7,200.

The lawsuit points to Trump's claim that he will prevent the caravan from entering the U.S. It claims that the president cannot stop asylum-seekers by employing the military -- when they have a fair claim. The suit criticized the president's alleged attempt at stoking "fear and hysteria" by claiming that criminals and gang members have joined the caravan.

The suit cited a Trump interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, where the president laid out plans to build tent cities to house migrants. The suit questioned the functionality of such a project, and asked if these living quarters would qualify under the Flores Agreement of 1997. The agreement protects asylum-seekers’ rights and limits how long minors can be held.

Earlier this summer, a federal judge in California rejected a request by the administration to modify Flores to allow for longer family detention. Administration officials say they have the authority to terminate the agreement, but that is likely to be tested in court.

The White House, Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security -- which were all named as defendants -- did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Trump announced in a lengthy speech at the White House on Thursday afternoon that in response to what he called the "crisis at our southern border" and a surge of fraudulent asylum claims in recent years, his administration will soon require asylum-seekers to "lawfully present themselves" at a port of entry.

Asylum claims made by migrants caught crossing the border illegally would seemingly be summarily denied under Trump's proposal.

The asylum clause of the Immigration and Nationality Act says that anyone who arrives to the U.S. may apply for asylum based on a well-founded fear of persecution, and Trump's decision was expected to prompt immediate federal court challenges.

Nexus Services Inc. is funding the lawsuits through a civil rights law firm called Nexus Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) Attorneys Inc.

"Federal law enables migrants to apply for asylum in the United States. President Trump and his administration have used ‘increased enforcement,’ like separating families and lengthening detention to violate migrant rights," Mike Donovan, president of Nexus Services, said in the release.

There is another legal issue at stake, according to the lawsuit. The U.S. cannot send troops into Mexico to cut off the caravan from crossing the border, it said. Even with the National Guard at the border, once an immigrant indicates an intention to apply for asylum, the suit maintained the process has begun.

Immigrants who are seeking asylum must be referred for a “credible fear interview,” for which an asylum officer would determine if the immigrant has a “credible fear of persecution,” the lawsuit said. If the officer makes that determination, then there is a significant chance for the asylum-seeker to be granted asylum, according to the suit.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mi...ment-claim-violation-of-constitutional-rights

Although this is an obvious PR tactic / delay stunt, I'm not sure how this will pass scrutiny at all- I don't see how (((migrants))) who are not in the country but who are actively attempting to enter without permission possibly have standing to sue on fifth amendment grounds. While I would disagree with the principle (but not the process) if they were already here, I don't see the logic in filing this until then.

The article itself is not bad. Some interesting points-

1) the caravan is down from 7200 to 4000. The cynic in me says they found a way here already, but who knows.

2) one of the points of their argument is that Trump's "tent cities" are inhumane. It references the Flores agreement of 1997, which lays out migrant rights and lengths of detention.

3) they argue the military cannot enter Mexico to stop the caravan and once in the US the migrants will be immediately applying for asylum.

While compared to total numbers coming across the border the "caravan" might be a drop in the bucket, there sure is a lot of money behind making a big show out of this thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
never mind that the same progressive morons who support this kind of thing will then turn around and cry about how wages are low, workers are being mistreated, and corporate profits are too high. excesses of low-skilled migration inflame all of those problems and primarily benefit corporations.
Most of these Progressive retards have never stepped foot near the Mexican American border outside of maybe San Diego or Tijuana but why don't we start sending any of the Caravan migrants that actually made it near their gated communities and see how long they keep their open border policies. Start making them hear Spanish for like an an entire month and see how long they last about open borders.
 
I remember seeing a few stories as well of "refugees" stopping in Eastern European countries only to see that those countries won't give them gibs and try to move on over to the more welfare friendly countries like Germany and France or just getting pissy and going back to wherever it was they came from. At that point it's painfully obvious you're not seeking asylum, you want to live in a comfortable place. If you were in fear of your life and your families lives you'd be as happy to settle down in Poland as you would the UK and be thankful you were allowed to live there.

I still laugh at the BBC who followed a refugee family who went through the gauntlet to come settle here. They proceeded to bitch about being settled in Bradford with "A bunch of bloody Pakistanis" (The dad's words) when they wanted to come to the UK because the whole family spoke English well, the adults were all well educated and they wanted to become British.

Instead they got dumped there because of mosques. :story:
 
How the fuck is their right to due process being violated? That's like me suing a supermarket because I think I'm about to slip and fall in one of their aisles.
 
The US military can damn well enter Mexico any time they please, it isn't as if any force on this Earth could stop them.

Don't pretend as if the only thing restraining the military isn't an increasingly diminishing desire to maintain the illusion of Mexican sovereignty.
Some DC think tank needs to convince Bolton that Mexico is a threat to Israel so the military gets told to go south of the border and do whatever the fuck they want.
 
1) the caravan is down from 7200 to 4000. The cynic in me says they found a way here already, but who knows.
3) they argue the military cannot enter Mexico to stop the caravan and once in the US the migrants will be immediately applying for asylum.


They haven't made it yet. And while the military can't, doesn't mean the BP won't shoot, they will gladly do.
These people are dumber and way more entitled than I expected.
 
How the fuck is their right to due process being violated? That's like me suing a supermarket because I think I'm about to slip and fall in one of their aisles.

I've read the complaint and it boils down to "Trump has announced his intention to take actions which would deny us due process. In advance of those actions being taken, we want the Court to declare them unconstitutional".

fwiw, Nexus Services has a kind of sketchy reputation. They've been under investigation for years.

https://www.univision.com/univision...-is-accused-of-abusive-and-fraudulent-tactics

https://crimlawandpolicy.wordpress.com/
 
I seriously hope the judge that this lands in front of immediately strikes the suit, tells them if the migrants want to sue to do it in Mexico,and then sanctions these idiot lawyers.
 
1) the caravan is down from 7200 to 4000. The cynic in me says they found a way here already, but who knows.
They're probably deflating numbers like when Harvard finally released those numbers about how many immigrants there are in the US. For me, this seems like it was probably guided by both people inside and outside the US. The biggest problem conservatives/GOPers have is always playing by the book and not doing underhanded things like liberals.
 
Thousand miles away and already costing millions in frivolous gimme dat lawsuits and violent shouting of how it is their right to make us responsible and provide for them, while bad mouthing, suing, and threatening the entire country of people they want to 'escape' to who are supposed to pick up the bill and deal with the community consequences. Tell me why them coming here is a good move again?
 
Thousand miles away and already costing millions in frivolous gimme dat lawsuits and violent shouting of how it is their right to make us responsible and provide for them, while bad mouthing, suing, and threatening the entire country of people they want to 'escape' to who are supposed to pick up the bill and deal with the community consequences. Tell me why them coming here is a good move again?

Without third world immigrants we will never be able to enjoy multicultural food like burritos, fajitas, and other tex mex delights. Please think of your dietary diversity and don't be a racist.
 
Thousand miles away and already costing millions in frivolous gimme dat lawsuits and violent shouting of how it is their right to make us responsible and provide for them, while bad mouthing, suing, and threatening the entire country of people they want to 'escape' to who are supposed to pick up the bill and deal with the community consequences. Tell me why them coming here is a good move again?

To be fair, it's extremely likely that the law firm went looking for plaintiffs and not the other way around, and the plaintiffs will probably come to regret the day the ever heard of Nexus Caridades.
 
This entire thing is being pushed by activists who have drunk the kool aid. They have this utopian vision of America that in their head says that all of America is on board with being the dumping ground of the worlds problems and if they trigger a crisis on the border they will show just how bad the orange man is. They assume nobody can see the man behind the curtain.
 
Doctrine of first safe country.

Isn't that doctrine usually interpreted to mean that you must make your application from the first safe country rather than that you must seek asylum in that country? It's one of the issues which has repeatedly arisen in respect of "boat people" using Indonesian people smugglers to bring them to Australia rather than applying for asylum from within Indonesia (or whatever previous safe countries they have been through).
 
I find this funny for one reason:

They think suing us will make us less likely to want the military to arrest the fuck out of them.

What idiot came up with this plan?
 
I hope the law is followed and these poor people are given the asylum to which they are entitled.

The Law, International Law in fact, states that a foreign national standing on foreign soil has no standing to sue another nations government or leader in US Courts, unless that government specifically grants them leave to do so. So under the law any such lawsuits get tossed instantly. The Trump Administration simply claims Sovereign Immunity and everything gets tossed from court. No hearing. No Judicial Review. It’s not even a question the court is allowed to consider.

Further the asylum they are entitled to under the 1951 Convention of Refugees is none. “Get bent! Go home!” The actual laws and treaties on the subject are meant to prevent exactly what they are seeking to do.

So yes Like you I hope the law is followed and these people get everything they deserve.
 
What idiot came up with this plan?

The company which will get $420 per month (plus substantial upfront fees) from every person released on bond while they wait months to years for the final disposition of their immigration hearings - which happens to have the same parent company as the "pro bono" legal service which is representing the plaintiffs.
 
How the hell do they have enough money to sue the government but not enough to pay for the proper citizenship process???

I think I read that they're doing it as some kind of charity case. AKA they want to get publicity for it.
 
I already disliked these migrants when they refused asylum in Mexico when it was offered to them even though living in Mexico is better than living in a war torn country. You'd think if they were actually in danger they'd be fine with that offer. But with this dumb stunt I'm convinced someone else is backing them for monetary/political reasons. Also the fact that it's so close to midterm elections.
 
Back
Top Bottom