The Welsh Newsdesk - Articles of possible interest from the Land of Song and Sheep

  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
Kicking off this thread with a story about a real life 'teenage rampage'...

Link: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/young-teenage-girls-kicked-victims-31635299
Credit: Abbie Wightwick, Education Editor for Wales Online
Archive: https://archive.ph/wip/oAMLS

78.webp

Cardiff Magistrates' Court (Image: MEDIA WALES)

Two 14-year-olds who violently assaulted victims at a school and college in Bridgend and were also found guilty of blackmail and assault have narrowly avoided custody.

The girls, both from the Bridgend area, and one of whom was just 13 at the time of the offences, both pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to one allegation each of blackmail, two allegations of actual bodily harm and two allegations of assault. Appearing for sentencing separately at a hearing at Cardiff Youth Court on May 13 they were both told prison had been considered owing to the level of violence.

The attacks on four victims took place between March 2 and 4 this year at Brynteg Comprehensive, Bridgend College, Pyle railway station and near to a leisure centre.

One of their victims was pulled to the floor, kicked in the head and face and suffered a bloody nose, swollen ear, bumps to the head concussion and PTSD, the court was told.

Another was ordered to kneel and kiss their feet and then kicked in the head and body on the ground while being sworn and screamed at.

One of the victims was so traumatised by the attack and threats that they took an overdose and were hospitalised, the court was told.

In victim statements read out in court three of the victims described being unable to eat or sleep properly since the attacks, feeling too scared to leave their homes or go back to school and college.

They said they were "petrified" their assailants would attack them again and described feeling "let down" by the justice system.

Neither the accused, nor their victims can be identified because of their ages.

The older of the two assailants was already on a youth referral order at the time of the attacks with a previous conviction for actual bodily harm. The younger received a caution for possession of a knife or bladed article in a public place 2024, the hearing was told.

Mobile phone footage played to the court showed how they attacked one of their victims in a school corridor, pulling her to the floor, kicking her head, punching her body and face and shouting abuse.

Footage also showed a girl made to kneel on the ground at college and kiss her attackers before being kicked, hit and yelled at her, while another video showed the attackers waving their feet in a victim's face and ordering her to kiss them.

The victims were threatened with being "battered" and told to pay £60 or videos of them kissing their attackers' feet would be shared on social media. When video was shared one victim felt so embarassed and ashamed that she considered taking her life, Sewak Singh, prosecuting, said.

In powerful testimony in person to the court one of the victim's mother's described the impact on her and her family. Fighting back tears she said her daughter has had problems eating, sleeping and socialising since the attack: "She says she does not like being in the house alone and has no doubt (they) would attack her again. She used to be out with friends but not now."

Statements from the mothers of two of the other victims were also read out. One said she would never get over seeing footage of her daughter attacked while people stood around and filmed it, doing nothing to help.

Another described the trauma of knowing her child had been assaulted in school, where she should have been safe and described how she did not want to go back. One said her daughter had changed and was no longer the person she was before the attack.

All spoke of feeling let down by the justice system with their children left too scared to go out alone and in fear of their attackers,

The older of the two accused wiped away tears when challenged about how she felt hearing the impact of her crimes. She said she felt "horrible" and was crying because of "everything".

Defending her Michael Hall said she had a "turbulent background" but had reflected and shown some remorse and there was "scope for rehabilitation".

The younger of the two admitted "I am sorry. The things I have done. I shouldn't have done."

Defending her Michael Hall said she was impressionable and had been subject to "malignant peer pressure", but he acknowledged she was guilty of "wanton criminality" and "has to be punished".

The older of the two was given an 18-month Youth Rehabilitation Order with an Intensive Supervision and Surveillance Order to include a 30-day activity with supervision and a 9pm to 7am curfew. She was also barred from entering the area where the attacks took place and all education institutions apart from those she attends. She will also have GPS trail monitoring.

On top of this a four-year restraining order was imposed banning her from contacting the four victims, including on social media, or going to their homes. Her parent was also ordered to pay all four victims £60 each in compensation on her behalf.

Issuing the sentence chair of the bench Jane Anning told her: "We feel these assaults and the victims' ongoing fear of violence mean these offences clearly indicate prison. However, there is a direct alternative to immediate prison and we have decided to take this route - a Youth Rehabilitation Order with iintensive supervision and surveillance - the highest sentence available without sending you straight to prison today."

She warned the girl that "because of the level of behaviour prison was a very real option" and warned that should she not comply with the order and restrictions she would be back before the court with more serious implications.

The younger of the two was given a Youth Referral Order and restraining orders were imposed in respect of the four victims banning her from contacting them, including on social media, or going to their homes. Her parent was also ordered to pay each of the victims £60 compensation on her behalf.

Sentencing the younger of the two the chair of the bench told her the attacks had also caused "severe mental trauma" on the victims and their families.

"We feel this is so serious prison is justified. However, you are only 14. We have decided it is a priority to give you every possible chance to put your life on a better path. The choice is yours."

No court costs were imposed on either defendant.
 
Booting this thread up with a kind request from @Artificial Stupidity

Five deny charges following Rhyl child sexual exploitation investigation​


Four men and a woman appeared at Mold Crown Court today​


Link: https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/courts-mold-rhyl-crown-charged-32419949

Credit: David Powell, Court Reporter for The Daily Post
Archive: (will archive later as archive.today isn't working for me at present)

3_JS362860923.webp

Mold Crown Courts (Image: Reach plc)

Five people have denied charges linked to alleged trafficking and child sexual exploitation offences in Denbighshire. The investigations involve three teenage females, who made reports in relation to a series of alleged offences in Rhyl and the surrounding area between April 2022 and March 2024.

Four men, aged between 24 and 60, were arrested on August 7. Three appeared by video link and another was in the dock at Mold Crown Court today. A woman also appeared in the dock and denied several charges.

The not guilty pleas were made by all five defendants to every allegation at this morning's hearing:

Mustafa Iqbal, 42, of Trellewelyn Road, Rhyl, denied three counts of rape, three counts of sexual assault, three counts of inciting a child aged under 16 to engage in sexual activity and six offences under Section 1 and 2 of the Modern Slavery Act. He also denied conspiracy to supply Class A and Class B drugs, possession of a firearm, and breach of a Slavery and Trafficking Risk Order (STRO).
Mohammad Usman Arshad, 35, of Clifton Grove, Rhyl, denies rape, four offences under Section 1 and 2 of the Modern Slavery Act, and the supply of Class B drugs.
Ziaullah Badsha, 24, of Brighton Road, Rhyl, denies two counts of rape, four offences under Section 1 and 2 of the Modern Slavery Act, and the supply of Class B drugs.
Jaswinder Singh, 60, of River Street, Rhyl, denies two offences under Section 2 of the Modern Slavery Act, and the supply of Class B drugs.
Sarah Gray, 52, of Llanasa Road, Gronant, denies assisting an offender, and perverting the course of justice. She also denies conspiring to supply cocaine and cannabis. She is on unconditional bail.


Today the judge His Honour Timothy Petts adjourned the case for a pre-trial review on February 2. He said a trial, due to last four to six weeks, will be held on April 13 next year.

0_Mold.webp

Sarah Gray leaving Mold Crown Court. She denies assisting an offender, perverting the course of justice, and conspiring to supply cocaine and cannabis (Image: David Powell/North Wales Live)

Meanwhile a 61-year-old man from London, also arrested as part of the investigation, has been released on bail pending further enquiries.

Louisa Robertson, a Specialist Prosecutor at the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has authorised North Wales Police to charge four males and one female.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against each individual are now active and that they all have a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
 
Back
Top Bottom