- Joined
- Aug 24, 2014
Shakespeare's Hermione is the queen of Sicily, but perhaps the Grangers really really like Shakespeare?Is Hermione a credible British name?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Shakespeare's Hermione is the queen of Sicily, but perhaps the Grangers really really like Shakespeare?Is Hermione a credible British name?
There were a lot of famous Hermiones in the 1920s and 1930s, which implies it was a relatively common name. A middle class family using it as an aspirational name is entirely within the bounds of believability.Shakespeare's Hermione is the queen of Sicily, but perhaps the Grangers really really like Shakespeare?
David Bowie went out with a dancer called Hermione Farthingale in the late 60s and wrote a song called Letter to Hermione for her, which is on his debut album. Unfortunately the lyrics don't actually contain her name, otherwise Hermione Granger could have played Viktor Krum the track to teach him how to say her name.There were a lot of famous Hermiones in the 1920s and 1930s, which implies it was a relatively common name. A middle class family using it as an aspirational name is entirely within the bounds of believability.
A person very much not of gender mocks:My take on Harry Potter boycotting is that I think if you bought HP stuff before JK Rowling’s transphobia was revealed, that’s fine, I’m not going to make you sell your childhood books. Just dont support financially directly NOW.
A person of experience speculates:Verily I say unto thee: should Thou hath procured Thine merch AFORE the great Jezebel revealed herfelf, thou shalt keep them. Should thou now procure merch in full wifdom of Her Wickedness, thou shalt be cast out, thine homestead burned and thy acres salted such that nothing grow
I think the show actually looks very good, except Severus Ape.On the other hand, the show looks pretty crappy with Blape being the absolute worst casting choice
HBO Backtracks on Future Seasons of ‘Harry Potter’ Reboot Amid Ongoing Backlash
If you thought 2027 was the beginning of seven full years of Harry Potter, think again.
Three years after HBO first announced its Harry Potter reboot, the series is finally set to debut its first footage. Tomorrow (March 25), the network will unveil Dominic McLaughlin as Harry Potter, Alastair Stout as Ron Weasley, and Arabella Stanton as Hermione Granger.
HBO also released another glimpse at McLaughlin as the Boy Who Lived, with a new image showing Harry in his Gryffindor Quidditch gear.
The new image has generated some excitement online. However, fans remain divided on the new Harry Potter.
Some have welcomed HBO’s promise of a more faithful adaptation than the original films, plus an expansion of key storylines and characters. Others have questioned the need for a reboot less than two decades after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011), with most backlash driven by author J.K. Rowling’s ongoing controversy over comments about the transgender community.
Whether fans want it or not, Harry Potter is set to debut in early 2027.
Filming on the first season started last summer, with the second reportedly due to begin just months after the season wraps. HBO chief Casey Bloys has said future seasons will follow in quick succession to avoid long gaps and minimise the impact of the young cast aging, with writers beginning work on the second round of scripts in late 2025 (via Deadline).
Casey Bloys Delivers Blow to Fans Anticipating ‘Harry Potter’ Season 2
Previously, HBO suggested that this meant we would see each season released on an annual basis from 2027.
Bloys has now clarified that this won’t be the case.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Bloys said, “For some of the bigger shows like Harry Potter or House of the Dragon, or The Last of Us, huge world-building shows, it would be nice to have those on an annual basis. But from a production point of view, it’s just not possible.”
He clarified that this isn’t a matter of lazy production. Instead, the studio is more concerned about doing it right, which takes time to accomplish for a franchise requiring as many effects as Harry Potter.
“These shows are complicated to do,” Bloys said. “In order to bring a show back on an annual basis, you do have to start from the beginning with people who know how to do it, people like [The Pitt executive producer] John Wells or Greg Berlanti, and it’s helpful if there are not dragons that need to be rendered, or zombies and things like that.”
In other words, we likely won’t be seeing Harry venture into the Chamber of Secrets in 2028.
What Does This Mean For the Future of ‘Harry Potter’?
Previously, it was reported that the Harry Potter series – which will have seven seasons, one for each of the original books – will run over the course of a decade. That allows for more than one year between some seasons.
Theoretically, we could see earlier seasons released annually, due to their more concise source material. Later seasons – such as those based on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (which spans over 250,000 words compared to 76,944 words in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) – that deal with more complex, darker storylines may spend slightly longer in production.
Some of the reboot’s older cast members have commented on the show’s already lengthy production time.
John Lithgow, who succeeds Michael Gambon as Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore, is 80. If the series runs for a full decade, he will be nearing 90 by the time the final season premieres.
He acknowledged the scale of the commitment when accepting the role, suggesting it could mark the final chapter of his career. “It was not an easy decision because it’s going to define me for the last chapter of my life, I’m afraid,” he said. “But I’m very excited.”
Lithgow also quipped, “I’ll be about 87 years old at the wrap party, but I’ve said yes.”
HBO has also assembled a broader ensemble to round out the wizarding world.
Janet McTeer is set to play Professor McGonagall, Paapa Essiedu will take on Severus Snape, and Nick Frost has been cast as Rubeus Hagrid. Elsewhere, Luke Thallon is expected to portray Defense Against the Dark Arts professor Professor Quirrell, with Paul Whitehouse playing caretaker Argus Filch. Meanwhile, Warwick Davis will reprise the role of Charms professor and Head of Ravenclaw house, Professor Flitwick.
As for Hogwarts students, a plethora of young talent is set to step into the castle. Lox Pratt plays Harry’s arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy, while Tristan and Gabriel Harland play Fred and George Weasley. Ruari Spooner plays Percy Weasley, while Gracie Cochrane is Ginny Weasley, the youngest member of the Weasley clan who will play a more prominent role in the show’s second season – whenever it may air.
To each their own! Kiwis literally can't lose here. If any Kiwi genuinely enjoys the show that's fantastic, because it brings them joy while bringing pain to BlueSky users.I think the show actually looks very good, except Severus Ape.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Disney actually removed John Boyega's character from Star Wars posters in China because the average Chinese person makes American racists look like MLK.
This cannot be real. It looks like a racist AI was asked to turn Alan Rickman black.
TRAs mostly seem to be having the good sense to leave the children out of it, bar some crap jokes about putting them on puberty blockers. I expect this will change in a few years.To each their own! Kiwis literally can't lose here. If any Kiwi genuinely enjoys the show that's fantastic, because it brings them joy while bringing pain to BlueSky users.
I really do hope the production is protecting the child actors well right now, because the whole discourse around this is a shitshow.