Cardinal George Pell Charged With Diddling Kids - Australia's most senior Catholic will return from Rome to face charges

  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-sexual-assault-offences/8547668

Cardinal George Pell says he is looking forward to his day in court after being charged with historical sexual assault offences.

Key points:
  • Charges involve multiple complainants
  • Pell has always maintained his innocence and strenuously denied any wrongdoing
  • Victoria Police says charging process has involved "common and standard practice"
DDc96YCVoAAeAbs.jpg

Australia's most senior Catholic cleric has been ordered to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on July 18, after Victoria Police served charges on his legal representatives.

"Cardinal Pell will return to Australia, as soon as possible, to clear his name following advice and approval by his doctors, who will also advise on his travel arrangements," a statement released by the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney said.

"He has again strenuously denied all allegations."

He is expected to make a further statement in Rome at 4:30pm AEST.

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton earlier told reporters the charges involved multiple complainants.

A magistrate will decide next week whether to release the details and the nature of the charges. A hearing will take place on July 6.

Last July, police confirmed they were formally investigating complaints about offences alleged to have occurred in Ballarat in the 1970s.

Pell has always maintained his innocence and denied any wrongdoing.

Deputy Commissioner Patton said the "process and procedures" being followed had been the same as those applied "in a whole range of historical sex offences, whenever we investigate them".

"The fact that he has been charged on summons — we have used advice from the Office of Public Prosecutions and also we have engaged with his legal representatives, which is common and standard practice."

As head of the Vatican's finances, Pell is considered number three in the Catholic hierarchy behind the Pope.

In July, Pell said the allegations were part of a smear campaign by the media.

"The allegations are untrue, I deny them absolutely," Pell said.

"I'm like any other Australian — I'm entitled to a fair go."

However, he said he was "quite prepared to co-operate" with the process.

Cardinal's rise in the ranks

Cardinal George Pell has long been one of the most prominent and controversial figures in the Australian Catholic Church.


In October, three Victoria Police detectives flew to Rome to interview Pell.

A Victoria Police statement issued at the time said: "Cardinal George Pell voluntarily participated in an interview regarding allegations of sexual assault."

Australia does not have an extradition treaty with the Vatican, even though it does with Italy.

Child sexual assault survivor advocate Chrissie Foster said it was right that the allegations would now be heard in the courts.

"I've been waiting to see what happens with this investigation for a long time," she said.

Ms Foster's daughters Emma and Katie were raped by Melbourne paedophile priest Father Kevin O'Donnell when they were in primary school in the 1980s.

VIDEO: ABC journalist Paul Kennedy speaks about the decision to charge George Pell (ABC News)

Conservative cardinal's road to Vatican
Pell was the son of a Ballarat publican, a head prefect at school and a talented Australian Rules footballer, who was signed as a ruckman by the Richmond Football Club.

We're in uncharted territory now

Now Victoria Police are charging Cardinal Archbishop George Pell with multiple sexual offences we are in an unprecedented historical position, writes Noel Debien.

His studies took him to Rome and then Oxford.

In 1971 he returned to Victoria as an ordained priest, and rose through the ranks to eventually become Archbishop of Melbourne.

He rankled progressive Catholics with his resistance to reform.

He opposed the ordination of female priests, was anti-divorce and anti-abortion and also refused communion to gay activists at one of his masses.

In 1990 he said: "Homosexuality — we're aware that it does exist. We believe such activity is wrong and we believe for the good of society it should not be encouraged."

His hardline conservatism caught the attention of Rome, and he was chosen to join a Vatican congregation dedicated to enforcing orthodoxy.

"There are many smorgasbord Catholics who choose a bit of this and that ... my business as bishop is to proclaim the whole of the message," he said.

In 1996, then-Archbishop Pell was the first Catholic leader to address the child sexual abuse that has plagued the church.

PHOTO: George Pell was made Archbishop of Sydney in 2002 where he later became a cardinal. (Reuters: Mark Baker [file photo])


He instigated a redress scheme called the Melbourne Response.

When announcing the scheme he said: "It's a matter of regret that the Catholic Church has taken some time to come to grips with the sex abuse issue adequately."

But the Melbourne Response, which capped compensation for victims at $50,000, was widely criticised as being legalistic and not offering enough support to victims.

He then became Archbishop of Sydney and was made a cardinal.

In 2014, he was chosen by the Pope to get the Vatican's finances in order and he moved to Rome.

Ill health prevented him from returning to Australia in 2016 to give evidence to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.


Holy shit boys, it's about to get interesting.
 
I don't get why Catholic leaders diddle the kiddles. Does it have to do with the no sex doctrine?

It's not just the Catholics. In the early 2000s, the Governor-General of Australia (a former Anglican archbishop) had to resign over covering up sexual abuse within the Church of England. He has also come under fire in the current Royal Commission. That is the same time when accusations against Pell first surfaced publicly.

Anglican priests can marry so the "no sex doctrine" doesn't apply to them. Given the historical context of much of this having taken place when homosexuality was still effectively illegal, it is possible that at least some of these people joined the ministry in the hope of finding refuge from their desires.

It is also likely that others joined specifically for the access it would give them to vulnerable people - this is something paedophiles are known to do and even the secular education system has frequently covered up abuse by teachers.

One reason people are so angry about this having taken so long is that so many of the perpetrators and the people who shielded them are now dead. Not only will they never be held accountable, but the opportunity for learning "why" has also been lost.

Nobody is expecting the final report to be anything other than explosive and damning, not just of the churches but also of the governments which didn't hold them accountable.
 
Last edited:
When you tally up all the cases in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse so far, it's rather disgusting that it took until 2013 to even establish this RC. It's just a disgrace when you consider this is beyond the scope of just Catholics - you have Jews, ADF, Scouts, Yoga Swamis, Correctional Facilities, Salvation Army, etc etc etc

Like @repentance said, the alleged perpetrators are all dead or near dead. This is exactly why they've waited this long. Pell will drag this out forever, nothing will be done, maybe they'll say it after he croaks but like anything, he's being shielded by formalities, still. He covered up for pedos - that in itself is bad enough, let alone the allegations of his own wrong doings.
Either way, it should be a freakshow. I hope he gets a case of the Clive Palmers and walks into court with the shakes and a sick bag. He's already staged his own Skase Chase by hiding in Rome.

I just want headlines of "Death Knell For Pell".
 
When you tally up all the cases in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse so far, it's rather disgusting that it took until 2013 to even establish this RC. It's just a disgrace when you consider this is beyond the scope of just Catholics - you have Jews, ADF, Scouts, Yoga Swamis, Correctional Facilities, Salvation Army, etc etc etc

Like @repentance said, the alleged perpetrators are all dead or near dead. This is exactly why they've waited this long. Pell will drag this out forever, nothing will be done, maybe they'll say it after he croaks but like anything, he's being shielded by formalities, still. He covered up for pedos - that in itself is bad enough, let alone the allegations of his own wrong doings.
Either way, it should be a freakshow. I hope he gets a case of the Clive Palmers and walks into court with the shakes and a sick bag. He's already staged his own Skase Chase by hiding in Rome.

I just want headlines of "Death Knell For Pell".


Pulling government funding from every single institution which has failed to comply with their obligation to report child sexual abuse would be a good start. The churches receive an incredible amount of government funding between education, health care, aged care, job network and their "charity" arms.

Strip all of them of their trappings of respectability, too. If we can take medals away from athletes, we can sure as shit take awards like Order of Australia and Australian of the Year away from these scumbags.
 
While I am against Catholics being compelled to report anything admitted in a confessional- and the laws of many countries protect them from doing so- I otherwise I hope he goes to prison if he's guilty. Assuming he gets a fair trial, a big "if" with a high profile target like a clergyman many have a vested interest in taking down.
 
While I am against Catholics being compelled to report anything admitted in a confessional- and the laws of many countries protect them from doing so-

Australia is a secular nation, though. You cannot have organisations which are so heavily involved in delivering services to the vulnerable in the community given special loopholes which effectively exempt them from a duty of care to those whose welfare is entrusted to them. Churches should be held to exactly the same mandatory reporting standards as every other organisation which delivers services to the vulnerable. Until they are willing to live by the same rules which apply to everyone else, they should be prohibited from providing services to the vulnerable and they should receive no government funding.

The whole point of this Royal Commission was to expose the extent to which sexual abuse of children has been covered up by the highest levels of institutions. By definition, those ultimately charged and/or facing lawsuits will be high profile. The Catholic Church itself admitted to the Royal Commission that over a 60 year period 7% of its priests were accused of child sex crimes.

Other countries can have whatever laws they want. What other countries do should not determine our own actions, though.
 
While I am against Catholics being compelled to report anything admitted in a confessional- and the laws of many countries protect them from doing so- I otherwise I hope he goes to prison if he's guilty. Assuming he gets a fair trial, a big "if" with a high profile target like a clergyman many have a vested interest in taking down.

It's not a matter of confessional privilege anyway, unless you consider conversations within the church to be confessional. George Pell managed the internal affairs and complaints about child sex offences being perpetrated by Catholic priests, and actively engaged in a decades long cover up.

Australia is a system of innocent until proven guilty, but the weight of this evidence hangs low around his neck. If he is convicted, I hope it brings some peace to the families who lost their children through suicide and the victims who are still alive.
 
Do you know when the trial starts?

26 July is the day he's first due in court. That's only a filing hearing, though. Normally it would take months to years for it to progress to trial but I expect that arguments will be made in favour of speeding things up, which is really unfair to normal people who have to wait for however long the wheels of justice take to grind.

That said, I'd prefer the certainty of him being in Australia for the main show over the possibility of not returning if he's allowed to leave Australia between now and some distant trial date. He cannot be compelled to return and he cannot be extradited from the Holy See because our idiot governments continue to allow the Vatican unique diplomatic status (which should have been revoked long ago, but that's another can of worms).

It will be interesting to see which law firm he retains and whether or not they pull out the silks.
 
Last edited:
It's not that Catholic priests are more likely than others to molest kids. It was the cover up that made it so bad. Had the church acted the way it should've, and said, "GTFO, you fucking perverts", rather than just shuffling them around from parish to parish, it wouldn't have been such a huge scandal.
 
It's not that Catholic priests are more likely than others to molest kids. It was the cover up that made it so bad. Had the church acted the way it should've, and said, "GTFO, you fucking perverts", rather than just shuffling them around from parish to parish, it wouldn't have been such a huge scandal.

It's more than just them not saying "GTFO" and shuffling the offenders around. They outright refused to co-operate with the Royal Commission and their unique diplomatic status means that they can't be forced to do so. Their records can't be subpoenaed and the AFP can't get a warrant to seize their records. Pell has a ready made refuge from which he cannot be extradited if shit starts going south.

No other institution which is the subject of the Royal Commission has that type of immunity, and the Vatican has consistently chosen to invoke it. The Catholic Church is literally and uniquely above the law in respect of this and people are - justifiably - pissed off about it. That status needs to change or it will be used again in the future to protect wrongdoers. The token co-operation being offered at the moment is purely voluntary and can be withdrawn at any point - which is outrageous.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4478602/vatican-hiding-behind-the-protections-weve-given-it/
 
Lol no. For most of its history, the Catholic Churches sex scandals were nearly exclusively priests boning women, prison gay monks and Popes appointing their bastard children as Cardinals. Then, in the modern era, facing a dearth of recruits due to intellectuals going to secular schools, the Church opened its curia ranks to homosexuals as a part of Vatican 2.0. Nearly simultaneously, vanilla fornication became a lot more accepted (and humdrum) in society. Of course, you are not allowed to speculate on the results of this.
 
Catholics, speaking as a Christian who still regards you as brethren, you seriously need to bring back burning at the stake. Clergy who betray their God, charges, and office this badly need to face the severest possible punishment if your claims are to have any credibility.
 
This is still subject to a gag order in Australia, but he has been convicted.

I'd been presuming this was what all the 'we can't report on news, but know there's some important court case news going on' articles were about.
 
Suppression order has been lifted.


Convicted of 5 counts of sexual assault including penetration of a child under 16.


Now to get the rest of the fuckers, including the politicians who protection these scum over the years.
 
Back
Top Bottom