After misappropriation
UN suspends food aid in Ethiopia
09.06.2023 at 20:57
More than 20 million people in Ethiopia urgently need food. In recent months, however, there have been growing indications that food supplies had been diverted and sold on.
The UN World Food Program (WFP) has temporarily suspended its food aid to the East African country because of misappropriated aid supplies in Ethiopia. The diversion of food donations is absolutely unacceptable and they welcome the Ethiopian government's commitment to hold those responsible accountable, WFP chief Cindy McCain announced Friday. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) also suspended its aid.
According to the WFP, more than 20 million people in Ethiopia are in urgent need of food aid because they have been affected by drought or conflict, for example. Some WFP aid, such as for children and pregnant and lactating women, will continue for the time being. With around 120 million inhabitants, Ethiopia is the second most populous country in Africa.
Supplies probably diverted and sold
In recent months, there have been growing indications that food supplies had been diverted and sold on. In early May, WFP and USAID had therefore already suspended their aid to the Tigray region in northern Ethiopia, which had been devastated by a civil war, and launched investigations.
"WFP takes this issue very seriously and will take all necessary steps to ensure that critical food assistance reaches those who need it most," the World Food Program said. Among the measures planned, for example, is the use of technology to verify the identity of those in need in real time. "In addition, WFP is strengthening food tracking to beneficiaries' families, as well as monitoring and reporting partner non-compliance and misuse of food assistance."
S | A
More than 20 million people in Ethiopia urgently need food. In recent months, however, there have been growing indications that food supplies had been diverted and sold on.
The UN World Food Program (WFP) has temporarily suspended its food aid to the East African country because of misappropriated aid supplies in Ethiopia. The diversion of food donations is absolutely unacceptable and they welcome the Ethiopian government's commitment to hold those responsible accountable, WFP chief Cindy McCain announced Friday. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) also suspended its aid.
According to the WFP, more than 20 million people in Ethiopia are in urgent need of food aid because they have been affected by drought or conflict, for example. Some WFP aid, such as for children and pregnant and lactating women, will continue for the time being. With around 120 million inhabitants, Ethiopia is the second most populous country in Africa.
Supplies probably diverted and sold
In recent months, there have been growing indications that food supplies had been diverted and sold on. In early May, WFP and USAID had therefore already suspended their aid to the Tigray region in northern Ethiopia, which had been devastated by a civil war, and launched investigations.
"WFP takes this issue very seriously and will take all necessary steps to ensure that critical food assistance reaches those who need it most," the World Food Program said. Among the measures planned, for example, is the use of technology to verify the identity of those in need in real time. "In addition, WFP is strengthening food tracking to beneficiaries' families, as well as monitoring and reporting partner non-compliance and misuse of food assistance."
S | A