Business The Messenger to Close After Less Than a Year - By closing less than a year after it launched, The Messenger is now one of the biggest busts in the annals of online news.

  • 🏰 The Fediverse is up. If you know, you know.
  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
The Messenger to Close After Less Than a Year

The Messenger, a news website that pledged to shake up the media industry with a playbook borrowed from the doomed publishing start-ups of yesteryear, will be closing down.
1706870764315.png
In an email to staff, the site’s founder, Jimmy Finkelstein, said that The Messenger’s shutdown was “effective immediately.”

“This is truly the last thing I wanted, and I am deeply sorry,” Mr. Finkelstein wrote.

By closing less than a year after it launched, The Messenger will now be one of the biggest busts in the annals of online news. And its collapse is the most substantial blow in recent months to the news industry, which is reeling from an unrelenting series of cutbacks.

The organization hired about 300 people, including journalists with experience at such publications as Politico, Reuters, NBC News and The Associated Press, who joined the company in the hopes that it would deliver on its promise to introduce an important new nonpartisan voice to the American news landscape.

Mr. Finkelstein spoke grandly of its editorial ambitions, telling The New York Times in March that he wanted the website to recall great journalism institutions like “60 Minutes” and Vanity Fair. He critiqued the coverage on channels like CNN and Fox News, noting what he said were inconsistencies in coverage of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. capitol and the southern border.

Mr. Finkelstein and The Messenger’s president, Richard Beckman, a magazine veteran, planned to hire 550 journalists within a year, which would have put the website in a weight class with publications like The Los Angeles Times. Mr. Beckman predicted that The Messenger would generate $50 million this year. During a demo last year for The New York Times, Mr. Beckman said he wanted The Messenger to make readers “fall in love” with media again, illustrating the point with a sizzle reel scored by the Dire Straits hit “Money for Nothing.”

Mr. Finkelstein, an entrepreneur with decades of experience running publications like The Hollywood Reporter and The Hill, attracted $50 million in investments for the untested start-up. The Messenger’s backers include Josh Harris, a co-founder of the private-equity giant Apollo, and Thomas Peterffy, the former chief executive of Interactive Brokers. Mr. Harris was a backer of The Hill, which Mr. Finkelstein sold to Nexstar in 2020 for $130 million.

But their money was quickly spent. Near the end of last year, the company had generated only $3 million and had just $1.8 million in cash on hand. The Messenger lost about $38 million — the majority of its initial $50 million funding round — and was spending more than $8 million on offices in Florida, Washington, D.C., and New York.

Things quickly went sour after the launch. A well-regarded politics editor, Gregg Birnbaum, quit after clashing with The Messenger’s chief growth officer, Neetzan Zimmerman. Employees grew fatigued with demands to mass-produce stories based on competitors’ articles. The site’s debut was met with a tepid reception from industry critics like Columbia Journalism Review and Nieman Lab.

Things got worse in recent weeks. Mr. Beckman announced his departure, citing health issues on a social-media post. The company began running out of money. It cut staff, attempting to husband cash. And Mr. Finkelstein made a last-ditch effort to raise money to keep the company afloat.

But even as the company hemorrhaged cash, Mr. Finkelstein remained outwardly optimistic. In early January, he said he had already raised $10 million and was planning to roll out an ambitious suite of products including Messenger TV, a video unit. The site had also begun to gain traction with readers. The Messenger told potential investors that it attracted 24 million visitors in December, a 24 percent increase from the previous month.

“Over the past few weeks, literally until earlier today, we exhausted every option available and have endeavored to raise sufficient capital to reach profitability,” Mr. Finkelstein wrote in his note to the staff on Wednesday. “Unfortunately, we have been unable to do so.”

Instead, the company has joined the many news organizations that have announced layoffs and buyouts in the last two weeks. The cuts have affected storied magazines like Time and Sports Illustrated, digital publishers like Business Insider and traditional newspapers like The Los Angeles Times.

Many of The Messenger’s employees had feared an announcement about a shutdown was looming. On Wednesday, before Mr. Finkelstein’s note, many of them filled the company’s instant messaging forum with posts about the possibility. As the day wore on, staffers began posting pictures of their pets to lighten the mood.

A confluence of problems is behind the carnage, including slumping advertising revenue, disappointing digital subscribership, corporate infighting and deep budget cuts.

The Messenger’s fatal flaw was over-relying on tech companies like Google and Meta for its readership instead of engaging directly with its audience through newsletters and in-person events, said S. Mitra Kalita, founder of Epicenter-NYC and URL Media.

“The Messenger was built off expertise of an internet that no longer exists,” Ms. Kalita said. “Facebook was not going to surface its links no matter how clickable those headlines were.”

Benjamin Mullin reports on the major companies behind news and entertainment. Contact Ben securely on Signal at +1 530-961-3223 or email at benjamin.mullin@nytimes.com. More about Benjamin Mullin

A version of this article appears in print on , Section B, Page 6 of the New York edition with the headline: News Website The Messenger Closes After Less Than a Year. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

(+)
Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/31/business/media/messenger-closing-down.html?searchResultPosition=1
 
Mr. Finkelstein, an entrepreneur with decades of experience running publications like The Hollywood Reporter and The Hill, attracted $50 million in investments for the untested start-up.

I had literally never heard of this site until today. Yet somehow they got $50 million BlackRock Bux. And now they're gone. Makes my brain hurt.

Obviously @Null needs to change his name to Finkelstein. He'd clearly be a better investment.
 
So much money and time wasted by people who barely understand the industry they're dabbling in.

...spending more than $8 million on offices in Florida, Washington, D.C., and New York.
WHY
 
"Employees grew fatigued with demands to mass-produce stories based on competitors’ articles."
LMAO. Taken down in part because journoshits are lazy. It always amazes me how these people bleat about The Message™ as they go down, but they can't host a bare bones website with a bare bones staff. They definitely can't do anything for free or on a budget .
 
If journalists had half the integrity and self-awareness that pornographers and pornstars had, they wouldn’t be exploding left and right.

Stop pretending you’re uptown Sinclair and just admit you’re whores and accept your whore payments.
 
Anyone claiming to be non-partisan is a fucking liar and everyone knows it by now.
>Finkelstein
I'm sure it was completely unbiased. How did it report the news about niggers?
 
So much money and time wasted by people who barely understand the industry they're dabbling in.
Having fessed up to $8 million on offices, now I want to know where the other $42 million went......

Specifically, how much was donated to campaigns for Democrats?
 
Yet somehow they got $50 million BlackRock Bux.
I'd guess the objective all along was to sop up investor funds and squirrel them away, never having any intention of doing a mundane task like the copy and paste circlejerk that is the news biz. Shit, with a name like Finkelstein, the whole endeavor might have been planned by all parties.
 
The second I saw their mission statement, I knew they were DoA.
You can’t make up for the actions of decades of Journalistic neglect by hiring the same journalists who were responsible.

Apparently they actually did a few right wing pieces of news, but I only ever saw standard left wing headlines whenever it popped into my feed.
 
If they were serious about being impartial, then they were doomed from the start.

That ship has sailed. Left-wingers will plug their ears and screech about any news not 100% supporting their worldview. Right-Wingers have been burned by Big Media so many times that they pretty much discount it entirely.

There was no audience for this. And there won't be for quite a while.


That said, the whole thing looks like it was just a way to get a bunch of investment funds and disappear. Literally no one I know had even heard of this.
 
TMI: I like Mike Tanier football articles even though he’s become less FO and more predictable, but still. He’s the only reason I knew The Messenger existed and now there’s no Tanier articles for a while.
 
Mr. Beckman predicted that The Messenger would generate $50 million this year.
But their money was quickly spent. Near the end of last year, the company had generated only $3 million and had just $1.8 million in cash on hand. The Messenger lost about $38 million — the majority of its initial $50 million funding round — and was spending more than $8 million on offices in Florida, Washington, D.C., and New York.

The article, granted written by the NYT and a scumbag competitor, really doesn't explain what the hook was for this proposed endeavor beyond claiming to be centrist and hiring journoscum castoffs.

Employees grew fatigued with demands to mass-produce stories based on competitors’ articles."
LMAO. Taken down in part because journoshits are lazy. It always amazes me how these people bleat about The Message™ as they go down

That line reminded me of Gawker's sister sports site Deadspin whose entire leftist editorial staff REEEd and quit after their post-Hogan carcass was bought by some vulture capitalists. Who subsequently proceeded to cause the mass exodus by handing down a managerial directive to "Stick to sports".

They still did better than CNN+

The photo in the article reminded of Quibbi.

Which technically was a smartphone-exclusive microcontent paid streaming service that managed to launch and die at the height of the lockdowns when the world was quarantined in their homes.
 
Here's another autopsy from Politico:

The Messenger’s Brutal Demise Didn’t Have To Be This Cruel (archive)
Why the layoffs at the failed news company are extra painful.

Jimmy Finkelstein hastily built a rocket ship he named The Messenger, boarded a staff of 300 promising the moon, lit the fuse and then slunk away when it didn’t even reach orbit. The wreckage is considerable. Finkelstein and team, which had recruited experienced journalists from jobs at POLITICO, the New York Post, the Los Angeles Times, NBC News, Reuters and elsewhere, made no effort to rescue or aid the crew. No severance offered after their short-notice layoffs. No last rites. The only trace of the site that remains is a dead page reading “TheMessenger.” and an email address. Reporters learned they were being thrown into unemployment by reading the New York Times rather than a note from management.

Finkelstein is being drawn as a villain in the disaster. Former staffers have already shaken off the reentry dust and filed a class action suit against the busted publication for failing to provide notice of dismissal. Critics like S. Mitra Kalita of URL media have succinctly accused Finkelstein of erecting The Messenger on the “expertise of an internet that no longer exists,” as she told the New York Times, adding, “Facebook was not going to surface its links no matter how clickable those headlines were.”

Coming as it did with a recent wave of news business layoffs and cutbacks, the crash of The Messenger amplified the pessimism now sweeping through newsrooms. But it would be a mistake to blend The Messenger’s dark story into the ongoing drama without making a few amendments. The first would be that owing to self-interest, the news business over-reports layoffs and collapses in its own sector and underreports job losses elsewhere. On Thursday, the Washington Post and the rest of the press filed stories about the Wall Street Journal laying off 20 staffers in its D.C. bureau. We all sympathize, but would this have made the news if similarly sized businesses cut 20 people? Not all layoffs portend the end of the world. Sometimes layoffs arrive when a new editor — the Wall Street Journal just got one — makes decisions her predecessor wouldn’t. Nobody, not even experienced and talented journalists who have mortgages and medical bills, is owed a job.

The news business faces a dire future. But the industry contraction we’ve read so much about recently wasn’t a direct cause of The Messenger’s demise. And while Finkelstein’s treatment of his employees may have been brutal at the end, he was arguably just as callous at the start by making promises he could never fulfill. The Messenger’s fall has so many causes beyond the one cited by Kalita that we need a more wide-ranging post-mortem if we hope to learn anything about it.

First and foremost, Finkelstein committed an act of business daredevilry when he entered a market already clogged with competitors — including but not limited to POLITICO, The Hill, Roll Call, Axios, Punchbowl News, Bloomberg News, the dailies, the networks, opinion magazines like The New Republic, newsletters and the various trade press outlets. Naysayers asserted that The Messenger couldn’t clear that logjam to be heard, but that view was common coin when The Hill challenged Roll Call, when POLITICO challenged the two of them, when POLITICO honchos broke away to form Axios, when POLITICO stalwarts launched Punchbowl News and as former POLITICO owner Robert Allbritton has just started NOTUS. The Messenger’s death indicates that absent some editor inventing a major new wrinkle, Washington news has peaked. There are no discernable vacancies.

Finkelstein knew plenty about running a Washington publication, having taken over The Hill in 2012 from his father, who founded it in 1994. Finkelstein sold it in 2021 for $130 million. Why shouldn’t he be able to do it again? But being a daredevil this time around, Finkelstein made outrageous lunar promises at launch time. He promised to hire 550 journalists in the first year. He didn’t. The publication predicted it would make $50 million in revenue in its first year. It made only $3 million. And lost $38 million of its initial $50 million funding, according to the New York Times.

By nature, I’m not a grave dancer. Even the failure of bad publications — which The Messenger was not — saddens me. Because starting a new publication is more difficult than reaching the moon, I avoided criticizing The Messenger because I considered the first nine months of any publication the equivalent of an off-Broadway tryout: Parts are rewritten. Actors are dismissed and hired. Overtures are added. Costumes are redesigned. The Messenger showed all the signs of working out its kinks to become a solid publication. Valuable journalism resided there, even if, like many other publications, The Messenger often overhyped its findings. But now that it’s gone, it’s easy to agree that Finkelstein overpromised and underdelivered as wildly as a Silicon Valley startup that promises a world-changing gadget or piece of software but then delivers only vapor.

The most painful of the many lessons taught by The Messenger has got to be that the journalists it hired — cynical show-me types who see through the gas spouted by Washington politicians — didn’t sense the stench in Finkelstein’s. I would love to claim that nine months ago, I thought Finkelstein was full of it. But honestly, at the time, his emissions smelled like Chanel No. 5 to me.
******
Or maybe crushed violets. Send scents to Shafer.Politico@gmail.com. No new email alert subscriptions are being honored at this time. My Twitter and Threads accounts are facing layoffs. My RSS feed stinks of death.
 
Back
Top Bottom