Clock boy loses discrimination lawsuit

  • 🏰 The Fediverse is up. If you know, you know.
  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4522560/Federal-judge-dismisses-clock-boy-lawsuit.html

A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by Ahmed Mohamed's father, saying the family will not get a payout from the city of Irving, Texas or the school district for the 'clock boy' scandal, DailyMail.com has learned.

On September 14, 2015, 14-year-old Ahmed gained national attention when his high school teacher suspected he brought a bomb to school.

Ahmed was surprised and showed the teacher it was actually a homemade alarm clock. She told the Muslim teen she would keep it behind her desk for the rest of the day.

Scroll down for video

408A41CD00000578-4522560-image-m-15_1495202539259.jpg


+6

Ahmed Mohamed's (left) father Mohamed Mohamed (right) filed a lawsuit claiming his son was owed unspecified damages from the City of Irving, Texas and the school district. He accused the parties of violating Ahmed's Fifth Amendment rights for his wrongful arrest

Later that day, the teacher called the police who arrested Ahmed at MacArthur High School. Ahmed's father, Mohamed Mohamed, claimed the officers were overly forceful in pulling him from his chair. He says they yanked his arms up and behind his back so far that his right hand touched the back of his neck.

Ahmed was booked, finger printed, interrogated and had his mugshot taken for the offense of a 'hoax bomb'. The charges were later dropped.

Mohamed filed a Federal lawsuit against the City of Irving, Texas and Irving Independent School District accusing them of violating his son's civil rights.
Court papers obtained by DailyMail.com reveal on May 18, a judge dismissed the entire case. The lawsuit sought unspecified compensatory and punitive damages along with attorney fees.

The judge wrote: 'Plaintiff does not allege any facts from which this court can reasonably infer that any IISD employee intentionally discriminated against Ahmed Mohamed based on his race or religion.'
Further, he notes that the suit failed to identify any policy, custom, or practice of the City that was allegedly the moving force behind any violation of Ahmed's Fifth Amendment rights.

When the lawsuit was first filed in 2016, the district hit back at the Mohamed family's allegations saying Ahmed deliberately disobeyed his teacher by activating the clock despite her warning.

The judge said the failed to allege any facts from which the court could reasonably conclude that Ahmed was discriminated against based on his race or religion.

408A41F800000578-4522560-image-a-11_1495201702575.jpg


+6
Ahmed's family initially filed a lawsuit claiming they were entitled to $15 million for the 'clock boy' incident. The most recent lawsuit requested unspecified compensatory and punitive damages along with attorney fees.

The ruling said the suit had: 'Absent allegations of intentional discrimination, or allegations from which the court can reasonably infer intentional discrimination, Plaintiff fails to allege an equal protection violation against the IISD.'

Mohamed's complaint also said Irving Independent School District has an 'ugly history of race struggles,' and the State of Texas and the IISD have a 'history of discrimination against Muslims in Texas curriculum and schools.'

Prior to filing the most recent lawsuit, the family demanded $15 million dollars in damages in the months after the arrest.

Damages are only granted for intentional discrimination. Mohamed is allowed to file an amended complaint by June 1.
 
Poor guy. I think next time I'm backpacking through I'll leave my pressure cooker on their porch in hopes that a gift will cheer them up.
 
Good little fucker did this to be provocative and his family had a history of trying to do this sort of thing - and an even more dubious set of connections through his family to organisations that are decidedly on the wrong side of reality.
 
A while back, clockboy's father sued Ben Shapiro for saying on Fox News that the whole controversy was deliberately orchestrated for the family's financial and political benefit. The lawsuit was recently dismissed, and the Mohamed family now has to pay Ben's legal fees. Should have known better than to sue a Jew.

c3rlugovyaepi18.jpg
 
From what I remember, it wasn't even for an assignment. This spergy Arab disassembled the clock, put it into a metallic pencil case, brought it to school, showed his science teacher who told him to put it away after class, then let the alarm go off in another class. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of :autism: but I'm convinced this was a prank he didn't expect would lead to him into police custody. Sand nigga didn't realize that bomb hoaxes are still illegal.

The worst part was how the media, the president of the United States and the tech sector then decided to promote this kid as some prodigy who suffered a grave injustice.

Just to add, the clock didn't have any batteries and had to be plugged in to work. So in order to "accidentally go off in the middle of class" he would have had to intentionally plug it in to a wall outlet.

Totally not a setup.

Teachers never thought it was a real bomb, just that little Ahmed was trying to epically pronk his class with something that happened to look exactly like a bomb.
 
Last edited:
Just to add, the clock didn't have any batteries and had to be plugged in to work. So in order to "accidentally go off in the middle of class" he would have had to intentionally plug it in to a wall outlet.
Exactly, Clockboy's official version of events is that the teacher heard it ticking asked him what was in the backpack and he pulled it out.

But it's digital it doesn't tick, and it runs on A/C current so it isn't doing anything unless it's plugged in
 
He bought a radioshack alarm clock, took it apart, then reassembled it in a faux attache case that made it look like a suitcase bomb. The judge should have asked him what possibly made him think this was a good idea.
the judge should have asked him if getting caught was part of his plan
 
A while back, clockboy's father sued Ben Shapiro for saying on Fox News that the whole controversy was deliberately orchestrated for the family's financial and political benefit. The lawsuit was recently dismissed, and the Mohamed family now has to pay Ben's legal fees. Should have known better than to sue a Jew.

c3rlugovyaepi18.jpg

I am so glad America is not Canada.
 
Poor guy. I think next time I'm backpacking through I'll leave my pressure cooker on their porch in hopes that a gift will cheer them up.
Hey buddy, thought you might be interested in these fascinating ball bearings and this gunpowder I found so I sent them your way packed up in a pressure cooker covered in duct tape for easy storage.
 
“Clock boy” family loses racism lawsuit against city, school, and police

A US District Court judge has dismissed the lawsuit filed by the father of Ahmed Mohamed, a boy who brought a homemade clock to school and then was arrested on charges of bringing a hoax bomb to the school.

Mohamed was a 14-year-old freshman when the incident happened at his high school in Irving, Texas in September 2015. The charge against Mohamed was dropped, and the boy gained public support from President Obama, who invited him to the White House after saying that "we should inspire more kids like you to like science."

Mohamed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, filed a lawsuit against the Irving Independent School District, school principal Daniel Cummings, the City of Irving, and police officers Robin Howman, Charles Taylor, Jeff Mitchell, and Richie Miller. The lawsuit alleged that Mohamed, an African-American Muslim, was discriminated against based on his race and religion.

Motions to dismiss the case were already granted in May 2017, but the complaint was amended. A new decision dismissing the amended complaint was issued Tuesday by Judge Sam Lindsay of US District Court for the Northern District of Texas. The judge dismissed claims against all defendants with prejudice and said that "no claims remain in this action."
The lawsuit "does not contain sufficient factual allegations from which the court can reasonably infer that A.M. [Ahmed Mohamed] was subject to unequal disciplinary treatment based on his religion or race," the judge wrote.

"Mr. Mohamed has not identified a specific policy, or adequately alleged a custom or practice, that was the moving force behind any alleged violation of A.M.'s Fourth Amendment rights," the judge also wrote.

Excessive force claims dismissed

Excessive force claims against the police officers were dismissed because the boy's "alleged injuries are, at best, de minimis," the ruling said.

The lawsuit alleged that officers "pulled A.M. forcefully out of his chair, yanked his arms up behind his back so far that his right hand touched the back of his neck, causing a lot of pain."

However, "Minor, incidental injuries that occur in connection with the use of handcuffs to effectuate an arrest do not give rise to a constitutional claim for excessive force," the judge wrote.

The officers also had "arguable probable cause," justifying the use of reasonable force to make the arrest, the ruling said. It was alleged "that A.M. brought to school a device in a small box containing a circuit board, wires, and a timing display, repeatedly disobeyed a teacher who had told him to keep the device in his backpack, displayed and activated the device during class after being told to keep it in his backpack, and was less than forthcoming when he was questioned about the device," the ruling said.

Even when viewing the allegations in the light most favorable to the boy, "and given that these events transpired in a school setting, the court determines that the Officer Defendants had a basis to believe to a fair probability that a hoax bomb violation had occurred, providing them with at least arguable probable cause to arrest" Mohamed, the ruling said.

The Mohamed family now lives in Qatar. The City of Irving said in a statement that it is "extremely pleased by the court's ruling, which supports the justifiable actions taken by the officers in the matter," according to The Dallas Morning News. The school district said it was pleased that the judge's ruling found "no basis to the claim that [the school] discriminated against this student on the basis of race or religion."
 
Kebab removes self after being denied free money for alleged hurt feelings.

Was Europe taking notes?
 
Back
Top Bottom