UK Apple rolls out UK age checks for iPhone users - Move follows pressure from government on smartphone makers to do more to protect children online

  • 🔧 Issue with uploading attachments resolved.
  • Want to keep track of this thread?
    Accounts can bookmark posts, watch threads for updates, and jump back to where you stopped reading.
    Create account
Apple rolls out UK age checks for iPhone users
Financial Times (archive.ph)
By Tim Bradshaw
2026-03-25 12:21:37GMT

Millions of iPhone owners in the UK will be asked to verify they are over 18 in order to access several Apple services, following pressure from the UK government on smartphone makers to do more to protect children online.

The UK is believed to be the first European market where Apple is rolling out its new age controls, which are designed to ensure that only adults can download apps rated on its App Store as being suitable for over-18s.

Following an iOS software update that was pushed out on Wednesday, adults who do not verify their age will face restrictions on web browsing, as well as “communication safety” checks to their messages and FaceTime video calls, which are designed to detect nude photos and videos.

Many digital services, including social media apps and porn sites, have rolled out age verification in the UK following last year’s introduction of new rules under the Online Safety Act that impose tougher controls on what children can see and do online.

App stores and mobile operating systems are not covered by the Online Safety Act but Ofcom, the UK media and telecoms regulator, welcomed Apple’s move on Wednesday.

“Apple’s decision that the UK will be one of the first countries in the world to receive new child safety protections on devices is a real win for children and families,” Ofcom said.

The UK government has pushed smartphone makers to do more to block explicit images on phones but have not yet made it mandatory for Apple and Google to do so.

However, some British iPhone owners are concerned about potential security and privacy risks associated with the proliferation of age checks.

“Myself and everyone I know . . . are doing everything to bypass these over-reaching age checks,” said one Reddit user on a discussion about Apple’s update. “I definitely do not want to grant my OS permission to decide that I’m happy to share my proven age status, under any situation.”

Apple did not respond to a request for comment about which services its new age checks will cover.

After upgrading to the latest version of iOS 26.4, iPhone owners in the UK will be presented with several options to prove their age, including checking the credit card stored in their digital wallet or taking a photo of their driving licence or passport. Apple can also use the length of time that digital accounts has been active to confirm a customer’s age.

After installing the update, an on-screen notice tells users: “UK law requires you to confirm you are an adult to change content restrictions.”

Failure to complete the age check will limit which apps the user can access or download, though Apple’s support pages do not specify all of the affected services.

“Adults will have to confirm that they’re 18 or older to use certain services or features, or take certain actions on their account,” an Apple support page states.

Ofcom said it had “worked closely with Apple” and other services to protect users.

“This will build on the strong foundations of the Online Safety Act, from widespread age checks that keep young people away from harmful content, to blocking high-risk sites and stepping up action against child sexual abuse material,” the UK regulator said.

---

Apple UK Age Verification Chaos: Users Face Failed Scans, Rejected Passports, and Forced Content Filters
Reclaim The Net (archive.ph)
By Cindy Harper
2026-03-30 06:31:17GMT

Apple’s iOS 26.4 age verification system is failing UK users who don’t have a credit card or photocard driving license, leaving them with no way to prove they’re adults on devices they’ve owned for years.

The system arrived without warning, without explanation, and without any apparent consideration for the people who don’t fit Apple’s narrow assumptions about what a British adult looks like.

No Warning, No Communication

Apple sent no email. Included no mention of age verification in the iOS 26.4 release notes it shared publicly.

Unless you’d been following the developer beta track, where the feature appeared in February or reading Reclaim The Net’s earlier coverage, the first you knew about it was a prompt on your screen after restarting your phone.

That’s how 35 million UK iPhone users found out their devices now require identity documents to function normally. A “Confirm You Are 18+” label appeared at the top of Settings, and anyone who couldn’t or wouldn’t comply got silently downgraded. Apple’s Web Content Filter switched on, blocking websites across Safari and every third-party browser. Communication Safety is activated, scanning images and videos in Messages and FaceTime for nudity. Features that worked fine the day before now require government-approved proof of adulthood.

A company that controls what software runs on every iPhone it sells decided overnight that UK users needed to hand over identity documents to keep using the devices they already paid for. And it didn’t bother to tell them it was coming.

Locked Out With No Path Forward

Reclaim The Net has heard from numerous UK readers who’ve been locked out since the update landed on March 24.

One reader, a 67-year-old retired teacher, has used Apple products since 2009. She doesn’t drive and has never owned a credit card, paying for everything with a debit card from the same bank for over 30 years. Apple rejects debit cards entirely. Her iPhone now blocks certain apps, filters her web browsing, and scans her messages for nudity.

Another reader let his driving license lapse years ago and doesn’t carry a credit card. His Apple Account is 13 years old, likely five years short of the 18-year threshold Apple uses for automatic verification.

He tried scanning his passport, only to discover Apple won’t accept UK passports at all.

A third reader, a 74-year-old in Edinburgh, doesn’t own a passport, a driving license, or a credit card. She has no path through Apple’s system whatsoever. Her phone now decides which websites she’s allowed to visit.

These aren’t edge cases. Millions of UK adults don’t carry credit cards. The UK has no national ID card. Plenty of people, particularly the elderly, those with health conditions, and those who simply never learned to drive, don’t hold a photocard driving license. Apple built a verification system around documents that a significant portion of the adult population doesn’t have, then gave those people no alternative and no warning.

Older UK driving licenses, the paper ones issued before the photocard format launched in 1998, don’t appear to be scannable. Apple’s system requires a photocard, which means anyone still carrying a valid paper license, perfectly legal and accepted elsewhere in the UK, can’t use it.

People with disabilities or health conditions that prevent them from driving or traveling may hold none of the accepted documents. Apple’s support documentation acknowledges no alternative for these users. It simply tells them to contact Apple Support, which, based on reports from the Apple Community forums, often results in a support agent insisting passports are accepted when they aren’t.

Users who had automatic updates enabled, which Apple actively encourages, woke up to the verification prompt with no chance to opt out. The only way to avoid iOS 26.4 is to manually disable automatic updates and stay on an older version, giving up future security patches in the process.

Even for users with valid documents, the system is buggy. Reports across Apple’s support forums and Reddit describe driving license scans failing repeatedly with no error message, just silence.

Apple Chose This

Apple frames the verification as compliance with the UK’s Online Safety Act, and the prompt tells users that “UK law requires you to confirm you are an adult.” That’s untrue. The Online Safety Act targets platforms and adult content sites, not operating systems or app stores. Device-level age verification isn’t a legal requirement. Apple chose to go beyond what the law demands and then told users the law made them do it.

Ofcom, the UK communications regulator, of course, praised the move.

The people paying the price are the adults Apple didn’t think about when it designed this system, forced to either take out financial products they don’t want, hunt down documents they don’t have, or accept that the phone in their pocket now treats them like a child.
 
More UK news. If you think this is only about phone theft, I've got a bridge in London for sale.
When pressed on what legislation the Met would call for, assistant commissioner Matthew Twist told the media: “In cases where there is a phone that is stolen, that is verified by police, that there would be a mandation that tech companies to . . . hardware block that phone, so that nobody else can ever use it again.”

Met will call for new laws unless tech groups do more to combat phone theft
Financial Times (archive.ph)
By Kieran Smith
2026-03-11 15:08:38GMT

London police chief wants handset providers such as Apple to offer ‘concrete commitments’ by June
London’s Metropolitan Police commissioner will ask the UK government to force companies such as Samsung and Apple to improve their technology and block stolen phones from use if the leading phonemakers do not do so voluntarily by this summer.

The call comes as the force steps up its effort to tackle mobile phone theft, a crime that affects tens of thousands of Londoners each year and has fuelled concerns about the level of street crime in the capital.

“If, by June, industry has not come forward in a genuinely serious, solutions‑focused way — with concrete commitments that make stolen phones unusable anywhere in the world — the Met will formally ask the government to legislate,” Sir Mark Rowley told a conference on Wednesday.

“Only Apple, Google and Samsung can break this model . . . Without them, criminals will adapt and markets will persist,” London’s most senior police officer said.

Mobile handset providers have long faced calls to improve their technology in order to reduce the incentive for such thefts and neutralise the black market for smartphone resale.

Rowley claimed that the force had reduced such thefts by more than 12 per cent from 81,365 in 2024 to 71,391 in 2025, but the Met is under pressure to do more.

He said that companies should introduce a “non-bypassable stolen mode”, which would turn a stolen phone “into a brick” the moment a theft was reported.

Rowley also called for measures including the integration of International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique device number given to each phone, into phone design to ensure any attempt to alter it destroyed functionality.

He said providers should introduce component pairing, so high-value parts could not be resold without matching device credentials.

Currently, operators have several safety precautions including passcodes to unlock devices but have stopped short of wider calls to “kill” stolen devices. Apple recently announced its optional stolen device protection setting, which ensures wider alterations — such as account changes — also require biometric identification as well as a passcode.

When pressed on what legislation the Met would call for, assistant commissioner Matthew Twist told the media: “In cases where there is a phone that is stolen, that is verified by police, that there would be a mandation that tech companies to . . . hardware block that phone, so that nobody else can ever use it again.”

The force’s calls were supported by the Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan, who said he would give the commissioner his “full support” in calling the government to legislate if companies did not take action.

“[There have been] lots of warm words, but we’ve not had the progress that we’d like to see, so we’re imploring them: work with us,” Khan told the FT.

A Google spokesperson said Android’s antitheft features already “give added security for billions of people, including Londoners”.

They added that the company was “delighted to attend the Met Police’s conference to demonstrate our commitment to device safety [and] to outline our work to protect those who use our products”, highlighting a partnership with São Paulo police to crack down on mobile phone theft in Brazil’s most populous city.

Rowley said he would travel to the US next week to meet executives from Apple and Google to discuss the issue while continuing to step up the Met’s own efforts to tackle the crime.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
 
iGoycattle will comply en mass and their sale numbers wont drop at all. Allowing normies on the internet the greatest mistake in it’s history
 
So far so good, this British adult is still able to access the Kiwi Farms and the BBC Good Food Recipe site.. Got all I need!
 
> “This will build on the strong foundations of the Online Safety Act, from widespread age checks that keep young people away from harmful content, to blocking high-risk sites and stepping up action against child sexual abuse material,” the UK regulator said.

Seriously go fuck yourself Ofcom. The category "harmful content" is subjective, and you're the last group that needs to be deciding what does and doesn't fall under it.
 
> “This will build on the strong foundations of the Online Safety Act, from widespread age checks that keep young people away from harmful content, to blocking high-risk sites and stepping up action against child sexual abuse material,” the UK regulator said.
If only they were this zealous in preventing young White girls from being raped by Paki subhumans in the millions.
 
All else aside, the fact that Apple offered only credit cards, drivers licenses, and ID cards as age verification options to a customer base in the fucking UK is supremely retarded.
 
Last edited:
Following an iOS software update that was pushed out on Wednesday, adults who do not verify their age will face restrictions on web browsing, as well as “communication safety” checks to their messages and FaceTime video calls, which are designed to detect nude photos and videos.
So they going to upload all images etc to detect nudes, I assume phone cpu's aren't capable of running models to detect them. What if someone underage sends them? Does Apple get charged with possession and disseminating CSAM? I guess the loss of epstein hit Tim Cook hard.
 
Apple is a husk of what it once was in the late 00s. All the power users jumped ship decades ago. The only "perk" of the brand is membership to the Blue Bubble Baddie Squad.
 
Back
Top Bottom