By Connor Lomis
Published: Dec. 16, 2025 at 12:10 PM EST
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - The now-former owner of one of Charlotte’s most popular breweries was arrested last week after being accused of raping a child and breaking into a Stanly County home.
Court records showed that 44-year-old Justin Brigham, once the co-owner of Sycamore Brewing, was issued a $10 million bond on Thursday, Dec. 11, and charged with statutory rape of a child, first-degree burglary, and indecent liberties with a child.
Just days later, on Monday, Dec. 15, Brigham was charged with additional crimes related to the incident, which are listed below.
- Three counts of statutory sex offense with a child under the age of 15
- One count of second-degree sexual exploitation of a minor
- One count of soliciting a child by computer
- One count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury
What we know
According to arrest warrants, Brigham was accused of breaking into a home along Furr Road in Stanfield on Wednesday, Dec. 10, before raping a 13-year-old girl inside the residence.Deputies said that just before midnight, the girl’s parents called 911 to report that an unknown man had been found in her bedroom. When officers arrived, they reportedly found Brigham completely naked inside a nearby car, and he was taken into custody without incident.
Stanly County Sheriff Jeff Crisco said Brigham and the girl had met on Snapchat two weeks before the alleged rape.
At some point, Brigham was also accused of assaulting someone else inside the home by “grabbing, squeezing, twisting, and pulling his penis and testicles,” according to another arrest warrant obtained on Monday, Dec. 15.
Brigham’s wife issues statement
Brigham’s wife issued a statement just hours after allegations surfaced that her husband had raped a child in Stanly County.Sarah, who signed off her statement with her maiden name, Taylor, is the now-sole owner of Sycamore Brewing. She wrote that she was “devastated” by the accusations against her husband.
“To our employees, customers, and partners, I am devastated by the charges against Justin and the pain this has inflicted on our family and others,” she wrote. “Effective immediately, I am assuming full leadership of the company. Justin is divesting all of his interest and will have no further involvement. Our team remains my highest priority as a Mom and a business owner.”
Sycamore releases new statement
After the initial statement released by Brigham’s wife on Thursday, Sycamore released a much longer, in-depth statement on Saturday, Dec. 13. That can be read, in full, below.“We wanted to speak directly to our friends and the community about events from the past few days:
“On Thursday, our co-founder and former owner, Justin Brigham, was charged by the Stanly County Sheriff’s Office with statutory rape of a child, first-degree burglary and indecent liberties with a child. These charges are horrifying and Justin’s acts are despicable.
“We are heartbroken for the victim. No person should have to endure what she did. We realize that words cannot fix what has been done, but want everyone to know that our hearts are completely broken for her. These are unforgiveable actions. Justin made horrible decisions and now he must deal with the consequences. We hope that justice is rapid and allows for the victim and her family to begin the healing process.
“When we first learned of Justin’s arrest on Thursday, Sarah Taylor, co-founder and owner, put out a short statement. This statement came from a devastated wife and a mother trying to make sense of something unthinkable. Released shortly after learning of the news, the statement tried to provide information and share that Justin was no longer an owner or manager of Sycamore.
“Sarah is navigating an unknown path, trying to find footing as a mother and as the owner of a business with deep ties to our community. Amid the shock and devastation, she is focusing on her duties to both a shattered household and a shattered community to bring both through this situation.
“Endless people have been impacted by Justin’s actions. Our Sycamore staff has been steadfast, working tirelessly amidst the chaos and uncertainty. We will get through this, and this family has each others’ backs.
“For our community, friends, customers, neighbors - we realize that trust has been violated. We know you are angry. We are angry too and still learning and processing the full scope of what happened. While there is a legal process unfolding, we want to be transparent with you about how deeply we share your outrage and sorrow.
“To be clear - Sycamore will NOT assist in Justin’s defense. We trust that the legal system will hold Justin fully accountable for what he has done. This is about doing right by all of those who have been affected by this - first and foremost, by the victim and her family. But, also by Sarah and her daughter, and by the innocent people whose livelihoods depend on Sycamore.
Sycamore Brewing
Bars, grocery stores drop Sycamore beer
Bars and grocery stores across North Carolina dropped Sycamore Brewing products after accusations against Brigham surfaced.Among the bars that took action were Bargarita in Charlotte’s NoDa neighborhood and Freya’s Haus in Wilmington.
Bargarita posted a photo on social media Thursday showing Sycamore beer being poured down a sink drain, captioning that the bar was “heartbroken and disgusted by the news.”
Freya’s Haus also announced it was pulling the brewery’s beer, adding that every dollar from remaining Sycamore products would be donated to a local rape crisis center. “We believe accountability and care for people matter more than silence,” the bar wrote on Instagram.
Hoppin’, The Union, and Tilt on Trade in Charlotte were among other establishments that said they would no longer serve the brewery’s products.
Major grocery chains, including Publix and Food Lion, also confirmed they would stop selling Sycamore products in their stores.
Bar supports Sycamore workers, but condemns owners’ actions
Another bar in North Carolina said it will continue selling Sycamore beer after the allegations against Brigham.Goodfellows, a bar in Chapel Hill, said in a social media post Saturday, Dec. 13, that it plans to keep the beer on tap to support the brewery’s workers, while condemning the allegations against Sycamore’s ownership.
“Instead of dumping the beer and penalizing the innocent, hard-working people who rely on the brewery for their livelihoods, we’re going to continue to work with Sycamore going forward,” the bar wrote.
Goodfellows also said it will donate a portion of future Sycamore beer sales to the Orange County Rape Crisis Center.
“We feel this is the fairest way forward,” the bar wrote.